APPI the White Ribbon Alliance in Indonesia is advocating for Parliament to issue a resolution on safe motherhood and for more NGOs to promote the issue. The alliance is working to hold the Ministry of Health accountable for commitments it has made to train more health workers.
WRA Indonesia Expands Safe Motherhood Program
In 2011, WRA Indonesia (APPI) collaborated with the Centre of Health Promotion, Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia to conduct the Healthy and Clean Life Behavior in the Household (PHBS) in five provinces and 10 districts. The provinces included West Sumatra, West Java, East Java, West Nusa Tenggara and East Nusa Tenggara, districts of which covered four alert villages in each district.
APPI has been granted an opportunity to conduct this activity for a second time around in 2012 with the addition of two alert villages in 10 districts. This will generate a total of 60 alert villages overall including the 40 that already exist. APPI is quite proud of this tremendous opportunity and is looking forward to carrying out this task.
The main objective of this activity is to increase the percentage of households in PHBS, especially Safe Motherhood (KIBBLA) in the alert villages through APPI involvement.
The specific objectives are:
- To increase support and commitment from the decision makers in the sub-district level and village in supporting PHBS, especially Safe Motherhood (KIBBLA)
- To increase the number of partnerships with related sectors, midwife and TBA partnerships (where there are still TBAs), health cadres, and health workers in the villages
- To increase the cadre’s understanding and skills in PHBS guidance, especially Safe Motherhood (KIBBLA)
- To increase knowledge and provide guidance about PHBS in the villages
- To increase the community’s active role in PHBS and Safe Motherhood (KIBBLA), with special attention to birth preparedness and complication readiness plans (P4K) in alert villages
This event began in April and went through June of 2012 with the facilitation orientation and will continue on from July to September of 2012 with the implementation stage in 60 alert villages. Following, it will proceed from October to November of 2012 with the monitoring and evaluation stage in 10 districts.
At the Orientation in Padang City (West Sumatra), a participant demonstrating how to guide alert village communities in conducting PHBS and Safe Motherhood
At the Orientation in District of Tulungagung (East Java), participants doing the Follow-up Action Plan for the implementation stage in their alert villages
- WRA Indonesia Youth Form New Chapter in West Java
WRA Indonesia youth group RAPPI launches new chapter in West Java.